New faces, new places: Teams announce signees

MEditor’s note: In this, the early fall signing period of intercollegiate athletics, several Minnesota teams have released the names of signed recruits. The following are statements issued by the University regarding these athletes.

Women’s golf

Minnesota’s women’s golf program announced Friday the signing of Kelli Berns to a national letter of intent. Berns will be eligible to play for the Gophers for the 2004-05 season.

Berns, from South Haven, Minn., was the 2003 section champion at Annandale High School and finished eighth at the 2003 Minnesota State High School Tournament. Berns was also the sub-section champion last season and has been named all-conference and all-state the past three seasons. She’s a four-year letter-winner and a three-time team MVP. In junior play, Berns finished second at the Minnesota Players’ Tour Tournament of Champions and fifth at the Junior Girls State Championship.

Women’s tennis

Minnesota’s women’s tennis program has announced the signing of two recruits to join the Gophers beginning with the 2004-05 season. Jane Anderson and Danielle Mousseau have each signed a national letter of intent to play for Minnesota.

Anderson, a native of Edina, Minn., joins the Gophers as arguably the best girls’ high school tennis player in the state. A member of the seven-time defending state champion Edina High School team, Anderson was ranked No. 1 in the final regular season Minnesota high school coaches’ poll. She went on to finish third at the state tournament after taking first in 2000 and second in 2002. Anderson is currently ranked No. 2 in the USTA Northern Section behind current Gopher and former Edina High School teammate Lindsay Risebrough.

Mousseau joins Minnesota as a standout player from Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. A three-time singles and doubles finalist for Palm Beach Gardens High School, Mousseau was named all-area three times and was selected to the Palm Beach Post Super Six her junior year. A two-time team MVP, Mousseau has been ranked as high as No. 59 in the nation in the USTA national rankings.

Rowing

Minnesota rowing coach Wendy Davis announced that Tina Cho and Lauren Van Proosdy have signed national letters of intent. The duo will join the rowing team for the 2004-05 season.

Van Proosdy, a Madison, Wis., native, is a four-sport athlete in rowing, volleyball, soccer and basketball. Van Proosdy rowed with the Mendota Junior Rowing program this summer.

Cho competed with the Lincoln Park junior rowing program in Chicago, Ill., earning four letters. As a member of the Varsity 8 boat, the shell won the Speakmon Regatta, defeating two-time defending national champions, the Cincinnati Rowing Club. In summer 2002, Cho was also invited to the Junior National Development Camp.

Volleyball

Minnesota’s volleyball program has signed Jessy Jones to a letter of intent. Jones will be eligible to compete for the Gophers in the 2004 season.

Jones is a 6-foot-3-inch senior middle blocker at Neuqua Valley High School in Naperville, Ill. She is ranked the 13th best player in the nation by www.prepvolleyball.com.