Hamilton named interim vice president for research

Beginning his duties July 15, Hamilton will fill the spot of Christine Maziar, who was appointed executive president and provost.

Hamilton joined the University in 1977 as professor and head of the cell biology department. His contributions to the department branched from comprehensive education, said Linda Kleinsasser, Hamilton’s principal secretary.

Hamilton earned a bachelor’s degree in biology from Harvard University in 1957, a master’s degree in anatomy from the University of Kansas in 1960, a doctorate in faculty of biology and anatomy from Cambridge University in 1964 and a post-doctoral degree in anatomy from Harvard Medical School in 1963.

Before starting his career at the University, Hamilton served as associate professor of health sciences and technology and associate professor of anatomy at Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

He serves on the Senate research committee and Faculty Consultative Committee and has been a principal investigator at the National Institutes of Health for more than 30 years.

Currently, he also serves as the project director of the Grants Management Project, a program designed to improve grant management at the University.

The American Society of Andrology recently recognized Hamilton for distinguished service.

As interim vice president for research, Hamilton will be responsible for the conduct of research, patents and new technologies, policy formulation and oversight of research processes at the University.