Students can donate blood to hear Augustana

Augustana will headline Lend a Hand, Hear the Band, which featured Guster and The Hold Steady in years past.

Students wanting to rack up hours to attend the Lend a Hand, Hear the Band concert featuring Augustana on April 16 can donate their blood on campus Tuesday. Lend a Hand, Hear the Band – now in its third year – is a concert put on by the Minnesota Student Association that gives tickets to students who register to volunteer for at least 10 hours. Donating blood at the Armory on the University of Minnesota Campus will count towards five hours, or half of a ticket to see this yearâÄôs band, Trisha Thompson, vice president of MSA, said. Former headliners have included Guster and The Hold Steady, and negotiations with Augustana were just finalized last night, Thompson said. The concert’s budget this year is about $60,000, which came from funds provided by MSA and the Office of the President, and through applying for grants, sponsorships and fundraising. The event is put on by the First-Year Leadership Institute, a program within the leadership minor where a group of students work to plan events throughout the year. This year, the group chose to focus their efforts on volunteer events. Students can stop by the Armory anytime between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. to donate blood.