Three campus robberies reported this weekend

Two suspects, who held a man at gunpoint, were arrested Sunday.

Three separate robberies — two involving students — occurred over the weekend near the University of Minnesota  campus, according to Minneapolis police reports.

The first robbery took place around 1 a.m. Saturday near 10th Avenue Southeast when the victim, a 19-year-old University student, was approached by two women who asked to use her cellphone, a report said. After she refused to give them the phone, one of the women picked up a plastic patio chair and struck her until she gave up her phone.

The two suspects fled the scene with the victim’s
cellphone before police arrived, the report said. The victim suffered cuts and bruises on her arms but was checked out and released by paramedics at the scene, the report said.

Shortly after midnight Sunday, a second 19-year-old University student was walking home alone near the intersection of 10th Avenue Southeast and Sixth Street Southeast, a report said. A lone suspect approached the victim, punched him in the face and took his wallet, leaving the victim with a bloody lip, the report said.

The third robbery occurred shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday at the intersection of 15th Avenue Southeast and Rollins Avenue Southeast, when a 21-year-old man, who is not affiliated with the University, was held up at gunpoint by two male suspects, a report said. One of the suspects stuck a silver revolver to the victim’s stomach, told him to give up anything he had and took all of his money.

The suspects fled the scene in a car, but were stopped and arrested on suspicion of aggravated robbery by Minneapolis police shortly afterward. The victim was not harmed during the robbery, the report said.

Minneapolis police Sgt. Steve McCarty  said the robberies were “unfortunate” but not necessarily a sign of a new trend in robberies.

“These things happen from time to time,” McCarty said. “They can happen anywhere in the city, and the area near campus is no different.”

McCarty also said these situations could have easily been avoided if the victims had walked with friends.

“I know people certainly don’t expect to ever get involved situations like these,” McCarty said, “but people really need to take some precautions when walking around late at night.”