U student robbed near Eighth Street Market

Also, two assaults occurred near campus area apartments last week.

A University student was robbed at gunpoint Thursday morning near the Eighth Street Market, according to a Minneapolis police report.

The victim, 21, was waiting at the bus stop in front of the store just after 8 a.m. when an unknown man approached him with a handgun and demanded his valuables, the report said.

He gave up his wallet and laptop and the suspect fled the scene with the items.

Police arrested the suspect Friday on suspicion of aggravated robbery, the report said. The victim identified the man in a lineup following the arrest.

“This individual was apparently involved in some other robberies in a neighboring city,” said Minneapolis police Sgt. Steve McCarty. “That’s how the police were able to get his name.”

Two people assaulted near campus last week

Two assaults, one involving two University students, occurred last week near campus, according to University and Minneapolis police reports.

The first assault took place around 11:45 p.m. Wednesday inside the University Village apartment building following an argument between two male students, a University police report said.

The students, who are roommates, were arguing about hockey tickets when the argument intensified and one punched the other in the face three times, said University police Deputy Chief Chuck Miner.

University police were called to the scene shortly after the fight and found the victim, 20, holding his nose, Miner said. Paramedics arrived and took him to the University of Minnesota Medical Center for treatment of a possible broken nose.

The officer arrested the victim’s roommate on suspicion of fifth-degree assault and booked him at the Hennepin County Jail, the report said.

The second assault occurred just after midnight Thursday when a man, who is not affiliated with the University, was attacked outside Stadium View apartments, a Minneapolis police report said.

The victim, 21, was punched in the face and knocked to the ground by another man, the report said. The man then kicked the victim in the back multiple times before fleeing the scene.

When police arrived, they found the victim complaining of back pain, the report said. Paramedics transported him to the Hennepin County Medical Center for treatment.

Police discovered that the suspect is banned from the building for previous incidents, the report said. Building security guards gave the officers a photo of the suspect, but they did not know the correct spelling of his name.

Minneapolis police are investigating the assault, but have not arrested anyone, McCarty said.