UMPD gears up for Saturday’s All-Star concert

Also, two University of Minnesota athletes reported stolen mopeds over the weekend.

When Imagine Dragons and Atmosphere take the stage at TCF Bank Stadium on Saturday for the Major League Baseball All-Star Concert, the University of Minnesota Police Department will be out in full force, Deputy Chief Chuck Miner said.

Though UMPD doesn’t expect any major issues, officers will patrol the stands and the area outside the stadium during the free concert, similar to how they would for any major sporting event held there, Miner said.

The stadium is expected to be about half-full, since the event has distributed about 26,000 tickets so far, Miner said.

“This will be pretty similar to a football game,” he said, “but with fewer attendees.”

The Minneapolis Police Department will also send bike patrols to the Dinkytown area during the concert, Miner said.

MPD released an eight-minute video Monday that advises viewers how to recognize potential acts of crime and terrorism in preparation for the July 15 MLB All-Star Game at Target Field.

Athletes’ mopeds stolen

Two Gophers football players reported their mopeds stolen from University Village on Sunday, according to police reports.

Brian Bobek, a business and marketing education senior and offensive lineman for the Gophers, parked his moped on Fourth Street Southeast, just north of University Village, before the Fourth of July weekend.

After spending the holiday weekend out of town, Bobek said he saw his moped where he had parked it when he arrived back in town Sunday. At about 8 p.m. that night, he said he noticed it was missing.

Kinesiology junior and Gophers linebacker Dominic Schultz parked his moped next to Bobek’s and also reported it stolen Sunday.

“I have known a few people on the team who have had incidents with mopeds being stolen,” Bobek said. “In previous cases, I believe they’ve gotten them back, but this is not looking like a case where anything will be given back.”

Just like when a car is stolen, the vehicle’s identification number will be entered into a national database, Miner said, and hopefully recovered through routine traffic stops or secondhand sales like pawn shops.

“It’s definitely possible to get a moped back,” he said, “but it’s hard to say what the success rate for something like this is.”

According to Bobek, the responding UMPD officer said he believed the suspect had loaded the mopeds into the back of a truck and driven away.

That’s historically the most common method for motorized scooter theft, Miner said.

Student molested in Stadium Village area

A University student was molested Sunday afternoon near the intersection of Delaware Street Southeast and Huron Boulevard Southeast as she was walking home, according to an email crime alert sent by University police Chief Greg Hestness on Monday afternoon.

At about 4:15 p.m., the suspect approached the victim from behind and grabbed her breast on top of her clothing, according to the alert, and then quickly ran behind a nearby building.

The victim was not injured, the alert said. Minneapolis police are investigating the crime.

This is the second incident in recent weeks in which a University student was molested while walking home in the Stadium Village area.

Student’s house burglarized

A University student’s home was burglarized sometime between late Friday night and early Saturday morning, according to a police report.

Arden Yundt, an aerospace engineering and mechanics senior, was working as a bouncer at the Bulldog Northeast bar on Friday night. When he returned home from his shift at 2 a.m. Saturday, Yundt noticed $35 and his debit card missing from his desk.

His roommates were also missing money and small items, Yundt said. They were at home while he was at work but didn’t notice the theft until Yundt brought it to their attention, he said.

“It looked like somebody came through and just took whatever small things they could fit in their pockets,” he said.

Yundt said there were no signs of forced entry since he had left the house’s back door unlocked earlier that night.

“I’ll be making sure I lock all my doors every night from now on,” he said.