U football player arrested, stolen UDS van recovered

A stolen University golf cart crashed into a parked car May 15.

University football player Everett Pedescleaux was arrested and later released Thursday on a misdemeanor bench warrant for failure to appear in court.

Pedescleaux’s court date was in relation to an arrest in July for allegedly shoplifting a CD from a Best Buy store.

University police Lt. Charles Miner said failure to appear in court will not help Pedescleaux’s case.

“It could be construed as not cooperating with the court,” Miner said.

The first-year defensive end was driving his moped near campus Thursday when University police pulled him over for not wearing eye protection.

Pedescleaux pleaded not guilty at an initial court appearance in August. Court records show he did not appear for a pretrial hearing later that month, so a warrant was issued for his arrest.

He is scheduled to appear in court May 31.

Pedescleaux declined comment when reached by phone.

Stolen University van recovered

A University Dining Services van reported missing was recovered May 10 at 600 E. Franklin Ave.

Keys to the van were missing from a UDS lockbox and were not inside the van when it was recovered, Miner said. There was no evidence of tampering with the ignition when the van was found, according to the reports.

There are no suspects now, Miner said.

The van had multiple dents and scratches when police recovered it, indicating a collision, Miner said. The driver of the van was unsure how much of the damage was new or pre-existing, he said.

Golf cart stolen

One juvenile was given a citation for tampering with a motor vehicle after crashing a golf cart into a parked car May 15 on 29th Avenue Southeast.

Miner said the golf cart was stolen from the University’s Siebert Field night before.

Katherine Marie Alvord, a Como Student Community Cooperative resident, said she saw two juveniles driving erratically at high speeds on the golf cart and then heard a crash when it hit a parked car. She said she called police because she was worried someone would get hurt.

The damage to the car was minor, according to police reports.

Both juveniles fled on foot from the scene, according to the reports.

The juvenile given the citation was released to a parent.

Handicap permit misuse

Six motorists were ticketed last week on campus for illegal use of handicap parking permits, according to police reports.

Miner said illegal use of a handicap permit is a $500 fine, compared with a $200 fine for illegal use of a handicap spot.

“It’s very sad – these people will use deceased relatives’ permits, stolen permits and permits of family members who are in assisted living or nursing homes,” Miner said. “It’s not a good idea to try it because people generally get caught.”

Illegal use of handicapped parking permits happens and is enforced at the University more than anywhere else in the state because free parking on campus is very limited, Miner said.

-The Associated Press contributed to this report.