Police apprehend

by Sarah McKenzie

Police have filed a criminal complaint against a southeast Minneapolis resident for threatening to kill his girlfriend.
Anthony Rotondo, 35, will appear in Hennepin County District Court March 16 for a pretrial hearing. He has been charged with making felony terroristic threats. Rotondo is not affiliated with the University.
According to the criminal complaint filed last Tuesday, Rotondo threatened his girlfriend with a knife and repeatedly told her he was going to kill her.
Police arrested and booked Rotondo at Hennepin County Jail Feb. 12 after receiving a phone call from the girlfriend.
When police arrived at Rotondo’s home on the 900 block of Weeks Avenue Southeast, they found the woman at a neighbor’s house where she had called for help.
Officers said she was visibly shaken and standing outside in her bare feet, according to the complaint.
She told police that Rotondo kicked her and held a knife up to her in a threatening manner, according to the complaint.
The complaint also states Rotondo pinned his girlfriend against a wall in the home and shouted threatening expletives at her.
She told police that Rotondo pulled her down the steps outside of his home and said to her, “I’m gonna kill you.”
A neighbor of Rotondo said he heard the woman screaming, followed by a man’s voice shouting threats, according to the complaint.
Paramedics working at the scene told officers that the woman incurred bruises on her back from the attack.
Minneapolis Police Sgt. Richard Sheldon, the investigator assigned to the case, said police have not responded to domestic violence calls at Rotondo’s house before.
Rotondo was in police custody Monday. His bail has been set at $35,000.
Sheldon said Rotondo is forbidden from contacting the woman until the court date.
“She has filed a restraining order against him as well,” he said.
Dating back to 1985, Rotondo’s criminal record includes four fifth-degree assault charges and a disorderly conduct charge.
If Rotondo is convicted of terroristic threats, he faces up to five years in jail and a $10,000 fine.