HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (AP)Joe DiMaggio will have to watch at least one more World Series game from his hospital bed, but the New York Yankees are keeping his stay from becoming monotonous.
The Yankees’ Hall of Fame center fielder has been told he will have to remain at least a few more days, but he has been able to pass the time Tuesday night watching his former team in the World Series.
“He knew when the season started they were the best team in baseball,” said Morris Engelberg, DiMaggio’s longtime friend. “They’re tough to beat.”
Engelberg said DiMaggio was not surprised the Yankees won each of the first two games at home. The series moved to San Diego for Tuesday night’s Game 3, which the Yankees won 5-4.
Officials at Hollywood Memorial Regional Hospital refused comment on the former player’s condition, but Engelberg said doctors drained more fluid from DiMaggio’s left lung.
“He’ll eventually be out … maybe three or four days,” Engelberg said. “If he were 48, he’d be out last week. He has six doctors. They aren’t going to discharge this guy unless he’s perfect.”
DiMaggio, who will turn 84 next month, was admitted Oct. 12 for treatment of a lingering case of pneumonia. He also had fluid drained from his lungs last week, Engelberg said.
Yankees owner George Steinbrenner called Tuesday to offer his encouragement, Engelberg said.
Rhodes returns
COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) — One of the nation’s best high school running backs ever is no longer a forgotten man at Missouri.
Ricardo Rhodes, a tightly-wound 5-6, 174-pound sophomore, has found a niche as a kick returner. Last week he had returns of 53 and 83 yards in the second half to help the No. 19 Tigers pull away for a 20-6 victory over Oklahoma.
That success has helped Rhodes adjust to life as a backup tailback behind Devin West, the second-leading rusher in the country, instead of a former phenom who set a state record with 48 touchdowns and rushed for 1,808 yards as a senior at Hazelwood East High School in suburban St. Louis.
For his high school career he piled up 4,586 yards and 72 touchdowns.
“Sometimes you might have to wait your turn, and that’s what I’m going through right now,” Rhodes said. “I’m starting to get used to it. As long as I can get involved in the game, some way.”
That’s understandable, considering how much of a battle it was for him just to earn the right to suit up. He signed a national letter of intent to attend Missouri in February 1996, but didn’t get to school until 11 months later following a lengthy NCAA eligibility appeal that eventually landed in court.