Chemical spill in Southeast Como

The Minneapolis Fire Department is responding to an estimated 5,700 gallons of nitric acid that spilled in Como Friday morning.

by Dylan Miettinen

Minneapolis fire crews are still cleaning up more than 5,700 gallons of nitric acid that spilled from a Como neighborhood chemical plant Friday morning.

The fire department contained the spill, said Bryan Tyner, assistant chief of the Minneapolis Fire Department. Though the environmental implications and cause of the spill have yet to be determined by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, Tyner said that “there is no life safety concern at this time.”

The Minneapolis Fire Department responded around 8:15 a.m. to the spill on the 3100 block of E. Hennepin Avenue. 

An estimated 600 to 700 gallons of nitric acid have entered the neighborhood’s storm drain system. The fire department said the acid “has been neutralized with soda ash and will be flushed out of the system to mitigate any environmental concerns.” 

Nitric acid, a chemical compound, is often found in fertilizers and is known for being highly corrosive.

As a result of the spill, a portion of E. Hennepin Avenue has been closed from Talmage Avenue S.E. to 31st Avenue. 

The acid originated from Hawkins Inc., an industrial chemical manufacturing company in the Como neighborhood. The facility will remain closed until the spill is managed, Tyner said.

Insight Brewing and the University of Minnesota’s Como Student Community Cooperative are in the area.

This is a breaking news report. More information will be added as it becomes available.