Final fees recs dip for admin units

Both Boynton and Northrop saw slight decreases in recommended funds.

The Student Services Fees Committee released its final funding recommendations for administrative units on Monday, making small deductions from its initial recommendations that were released last month.

The committee initially recommended nearly all of the administrative units’ more than $27 million request, but the group reduced its recommendations by about $83,000 to keep student services fees from rising too much next academic year.

“The fee will go up, but it’s not going to go up by as much as it would have had the initial recommendations stayed as they were,” said Alex Ngure, chair of the Administrative Unit Fees Committee. “To that end, all of the groups basically had to take a cut.”

While many of the 10 administrative units are still on track to receive the majority of their funding requests, some of the groups’ requests are significantly underfunded in the final recommendations, like in the cases of Northrop and the Aurora Center.

In the fees committee’s final recommendations, it allocated $178,362 to Northrop next year — less than half of the group’s request, which it planned to use for covering the costs of additional student programming.

The fees committee said in its rationale that Northrop’s request for additional funding wouldn’t benefit a large enough range of students.

Some administrative units have found other funding sources for paying expenses that aren’t covered by the funding included in the final recommendations, Ngure said.

Although the Aurora Center was recommended less than two thirds of its $433,569 request for fiscal year 2016, the group plans to use funds from the Office for Student Affairs to create a new men’s engagement coordinator position, as part of a two-year pilot program.

“It will be funded,” said Minnesota Student Association President Joelle Stangler, who supports the creation of the new position.

Stangler said she appreciates the committee’s mostly consistent allocations for University Student Legal Service and Boynton Mental Health Service.

“I understand that it was a tough year for the fees committee, and they had a lot of really tough decisions, so I appreciate that they tried to fund as many things as possible,” Stangler said.

The fees committee also recommended the Minnesota Daily receive $481,824 of its $505,000 request for fiscal year 2016.