Minnesota remains unbeaten

Tentacle Boy
Image by Paul Bangasser
Tentacle Boy

After going all of last season without scoring six goals in a game, the Minnesota menâÄôs hockey team has now done it in back-to-back weekends with a 6-2 win over New Hampshire on Saturday night. After tying New Hampshire 2-2 in overtime Friday night, it appeared Gophers fans would be treated to another overtime period between the two evenly matched teams again Saturday after the Wildcats tied the game 2-2 with late goals in the first and second period. But junior forward Ryan StoaâÄôs shorthanded tally 4:42 into the third opened the flood gates for Minnesota, which improved its unbeaten record to 5-0-3 overall. âÄúThat was probably the turning point in the game. They were on a power play. They could have scored one to go up 3-2, but Stoa just snipes one,âÄù sophomore forward Mike Hoeffel , who scored in the first period, said. âÄúIt just got everybody on the bench pumped up, and it kind of snowball-effected on down from there.âÄù For the Wildcats (4-2-3 overall, 2-0-2 Hockey East), SaturdayâÄôs final period was an ugly end after skating literally even with Minnesota for the first 105 minutes of the series. âÄúI think from that point on, we lost our composure,âÄù New Hampshire coach Dick Umile said. âÄúThey took it to another level, and we took it the other way.âÄù Later in the period, freshman forward Taylor Matson picked up his first career goal in between a pair of tallies by junior forward Ryan Flynn. The three goals, which were all assisted by junior blue liner David Fischer , came in a span of less than three minutes. âÄúWe had some problems getting that separation goal a year ago,âÄù Minnesota coach Don Lucia said. âÄúThis year, we seem to be able to get that so far.âÄù Flynn, who had been frustrated after only scoring one goal coming into Saturday, caught fire against a team that had limited its opponents to two goals or less in seven of its first eight games. âÄúThey havenâÄôt been giving up a lot of goals all year and junior goalie Brian Foster has been really solid for them,âÄù Flynn said. âÄúTo have four goals in the third and close it out with a 6-2 win, especially on a Saturday night, it sets us up well heading into next weekend.âÄù Series Notes Special teams play continued to find success this weekend. The power play unit went 3-for-7 in the win and 4-for-11 over the weekend. Meanwhile the penalty kill limited New Hampshire to just one power-play goal in seven chances. Freshman forward Nick Larson made his debut for the Gophers on Saturday night and finished plus-one on the night. Stoa is currently on an eight-game scoring streak having recorded a point in every game this season. Freshman center Jordan Schroeder continued to dominate on the draw; winning 24 of the 37 face-offs he took. Schroeder and junior forward Jay Barriball tallied for Minnesota in FridayâÄôs tie. With four goals this season, Barriball is now two goals from tying his total from last year.