Former U student center head Rausch remembered fondly

Charles Rausch, former director of the St. Paul Student Center, died June 1 from complications during heart surgery. He was 62.

Rausch served as the student center director for 30 years. He also acted as executive director of the Association of College Unions International.

Nancy Pitzer, a former administrative assistant who worked with Rausch for 30 years, described him as a kind, caring man who sought innovation in the workplace.

“He was always looking for new ways to do things and encouraged others to do the same,” she said.

During his tenure as director, Rausch brought book readings and musical concerts to the student center, Pitzer said.

He also worked with the Minnesota Agricultural Student Trainee Program, which gave international students an opportunity to see farming practices in the United States.

Rausch, an avid skier and camper, also contributed to outdoor groups at the University, Pitzer said.

At the Association of College Unions International, Rausch served as a catalyst for the many projects he worked on, said Rob Rouzer, president of the association.

“He helped to reshape the nature of the association and how we move it forward,” Rouzer said.

In particular, Rausch looked at the financial situation of unions nationwide, making suggestions that continue to affect policies today, Rouzer said.

“Charles made a point of taking an interest in people,” he said. “He was a person who just connected with people.”

Rausch was born and raised in Farming, Minn., and graduated from St. Cloud State University. He also worked at St. Theresa College in Winona, Minn. and the Whitecap Mountains Resort.

Memorial and burial services took place Saturday in Cold Spring, Minn. He is survived by numerous family members and friends.

Courtney Lewis welcomes comments at [email protected]