Apply on time, please

Student groups should not still be missing the fees deadline.

For most, meeting a deadline to obtain thousands of dollars wouldnâÄôt be an issue. It is puzzling how, for the second year in row, student groups have had trouble making the student fees request deadline.

Fees committee adviser Megan Sweet said the Student Services Fees Committee understands personal matters may arise, but students are given all the necessary information and dates needed to complete applications well ahead of time.

Last year, three groups submitted late applications, causing the Office for Student Affairs to create a task force to review the fees process. As a result, an appeals committee was established and groups attended mandatory informational meetings between October and November. Groups signed a form saying they were aware of the deadline.

The Queer Student Cultural Center âÄî which is currently in limbo after turning in their application hours late âÄî shouldnâÄôt have their funding completely eliminated for a late application, but meeting the application deadline should not have been an issue.

Sweet says she has noticed groups that are more organized consider transition periods and make things simpler and more effective by having new leaders shadow the outgoing ones. This is something every group should consider to avoid more late application mishaps.

As the QSCC becomes the first group to make their case to the new appeals committee, we hope they are also the last.

With thousands of dollars at stake, student groups should be more organized and alert. Fees application information is simple and easy to find âÄî even busy students and groups with frequent leadership turnover should be able to navigate the process without issue.