Minnesota defeats North Dakota

The Gophers men and women’s teams won 27 of 32 events at Saturday’s meet.
With younger swimmers getting extra opportunities, the Minnesota women’s swimming and diving team earned its third dual victory on Saturday morning at North Dakota. 

The Gophers won 195-103 and were victorious in 14 out of the 16 events.   

Junior Katelyn Holmquist was one of the team’s top performers, winning both backstroke events. She finished the 100 backstroke in 56.66 and the 200 race in 2:03.36. She
also placed first in the 200 individual medley with a time of 2:07.33 and swam in the team’s first-place medley relay.

Diver Mariam Khamis had a personal-best score of 303.68 in the 3-meter event, and the Gophers had the top four scores in the event. Khamis also scored 285.30 points to win the 1-meter event.

Junior Abigail Raatz won both of her freestyle races and was a part of both of Minnesota’s winning relay races. She swam a 23.89 in the 50 freestyle and finished with a time of 51.21 in the 100 freestyle.

Freshman Kaia Grobe won the 200 freestyle in a time of 1:52.72 and added a victory in the 100 butterfly with a time of 56.00.

“I got the chance to swim some different events, so that was helpful to see what times I could put on the board,” Grobe said. “I think the team swam incredibly well. We have had a tough past three weeks of training, so it was awesome to see everybody swim very well. There was a lot of good vibes on the pool deck, and I think we got more of a chance to support each other.”

The women’s team took home both of the distance events with victories from sophomore Brooke Lorentzen and junior Breanne

Siwicki. Lorentzen won the 1,000 freestyle in a time of 10:24.13, while Siwicki took first in the 500 freestyle in 5:03.87.

Men earn second dual victory

The men’s team won 13 of the 16 events and beat North Dakota 193-103 Saturday.

Junior Nick Orf led the team by sweeping both butterfly races, winning the 200 race in 1:50:32 and the 100 race in 50.39.

“It was a great performance across the board; everyone on the team stepped up and raced hard,” Orf said. “Because the diving event occurred during the break, the team was really able to come together and support each other. It was a great atmosphere and fun to race in.”

Senior Dylan Zoe also had a big day. The diver scored 370.58 points to win the 3-meter event and followed it up with a first-place result in the 1-meter event.

Senior Ben Bravence won the 500 freestyle for the team in 4:32.69, and sophomore Chase Bublitz won the 200 freestyle in 1:42.07.

Freshman Hunter Doerr and junior Eric Sande were part of the Gophers’ winning 200 medley relay, and each picked up an individual victory as well. Doerr won the 50
freestyle in 20.99, and Sande won the 100 backstroke in a time of 56.79.

“Really pleased with both [teams], and it was nice to see some new faces kind of step up and take the lead in terms of performing,” head coach Kelly Kremer said. “Overall, happy with the performances.”