Big Ten to hand out postgraduate scholarships

Two Minnesota student-athletes will be honored by the Big Ten after they graduate as part of a new scholarship fund.

The conference last week announced the establishment of an annual postgraduate scholarship to be given to 24 student-athletes – two from each school – beginning in May 2013. The scholarship is worth $7,500 and will be based primarily on academic achievement, according to a news release.

Each school will create its own procedures for choosing one male and female scholarship recipient. Student-athletes have to be in their final year of eligibility, maintain a 3.2 grade-point average, demonstrate leadership qualities, serve as an excellent role model and intend to continue their education beyond their bachelor's degree at a graduate degree program.

The scholarship will be used to cover postgraduate education expenses including tuition, fees, room and board, course-related supplies, and other school-related activities like research and teaching. The scholarship winner must be accepted into a full-time graduate degree program within three years from the fall semester he or she is selected.

The conference will announce the first 24 student-athletes to receive the scholarship in May.