Daily Digest: snow emergency, seasonal jobs, freshmen in Washington

1,047 cars were towed over the weekend in Minneapolis. I know my street was lined with cars with those lovely white envelopes in the windshields. Never learned the Snow Emergency rules? Go here. Got any horror stories from the first weekend snow? I’m interested. And remember, this is only the beginning.

Along the same lines (we’re talking snow here – and beginnings, I guess), the Star Tribune reported that retail hiring has started strong this season. October’s payrolls were three times larger than they were last year, which was one of the worst years for retail hiring in a couple decades. But that doesn’t mean there will be more jobs in retail this holiday season. November is the biggest seasonal hiring month and if you’re looking for a job, try for one at a Toys ‘R’ Us or Kohls. They’re some of the ones projecting the biggest hiring increases. A survey of big retailers (i.e. Best Buy and Macy’s) shows the majority don’t plan a hiring increase over last year. Kohls, however, plans to increase its hiring by 21 percent – about 35 part time jobs in each store. The past two years, about 5,000 additional jobs were added by Minnesota retailers around this “wonderful time of the year.” Before that, the average was closer to 17,000.

The freshmen have arrived for orientation in Washington. More than 100 newly elected members of Congress will spend a week in D.C. getting a crash course on what being an elected official actually means. They’ll spend the week figuring out their offices and attending a “wow-worthy” list of social events. They’ve got plenty of help, including lots of friendly lobbyists and a 144-page “nuts and bolts” book from one veteran representative. They’re also looking for housing (including roommates): “’What I’ll probably do is sleep in my office for a little while until I can find a like-minded freshman to room with,’ Rep.-elect Bobby Schilling, R-Ill., a pizza shop owner who has no intention of moving his wife and 10 children to Washington,” told the Associated Press.

“‘Everyone has told me expect more information than you can possibly digest, but just take good notes,’ said Rep.-elect Cedric Richmond of Louisiana.” — sounds like Welcome Week my freshman year.