Dayton releases bonding proposals, $118.7 million for University projects

The funds will cover three construction projects across the University’s five campuses.

Governor Mark Dayton’s bonding proposal released Wednesday provides funding for three University of Minnesota construction projects, totaling $118.7 million.

In its 2014 capital request, the University is asking for $232.7 million from the state this legislative session to fund six projects across the five-campus system.

Dayton’s recommendation provides $56.7 million to renovate the Tate Laboratory of Physics, $12 million for the University’s research laboratory improvement fund and $10 million to renovate the wellness center on the Crookston campus.

The University is asking for $100 million to improve or maintain existing campus buildings, or Higher Education Asset Preservation and Replacement funding, in its 2014 capital request. Dayton’s bill provides $40 million.

In a statement released Wednesday, University President Eric Kaler said the University will continue to work with the governor and state legislators this session to fully fund the University’s bonding request.

The proposal doesn’t include $30 million for a new microbial sciences research building on the St. Paul campus, or $24 million for a new chemical sciences and advanced materials building on the Duluth campus.

“I’m pleased Governor Dayton is supporting some very important facility investments for our students,” Kaler said in the statement. “His bonding bill is a great starting position, and we look forward to building on our partnership with the governor and legislators to support the U…”

The Minnesota House of Representatives and state Senate will announce bonding recommendations next month.

For more on Dayton’s 2014 bonding proposal, pick up next Tuesdays’s Minnesota Daily.