Gunfire reported near campus

In a separate incident, Minneapolis police were called to a single house party to stop a 40-man fight.

Ian Larson

Minneapolis and University of Minnesota police were called to the Burger King on Washington Avenue Southeast early Monday morning in response to a report that three men were attempting to shoot into the restaurant, according to a Minneapolis police report. A witness told police in a 911 call that three men were attempting to shoot into the restaurant, police said. Witnesses gave police âÄúconflicting informationâÄù regarding the incident and the suspects, who had already left in a green sedan by the time police arrived, witnesses said. Others told police that an SUV had also been involved. Police searched the area around the restaurant for shell casings and bullet holes but found nothing, according to the report. âÄúIt might have been a starter pistol. It might have been a cap gun,âÄù Minneapolis police Sgt. Jesse Garcia said. âÄúItâÄôs hard to say.âÄù No injuries were reported. Police break up 40-man fight Minneapolis police broke up a single house party with an estimated 200 people after being called to the party to stop a 40-man fight, according to a police report. At least one partygoer threw a beer bottle at police who broke up the party, Garcia said. A fight had begun in the house earlier that night and âÄúspilledâÄù out into the street early Sunday morning, Garcia said. The fight wound down as officers arrived at the house on 27th Avenue Southeast, according to the report. After spending 15 minutes trying to find the partyâÄôs host, officers dispersed the crowds, according to the report. Officers cited a 19-year-old resident of the house for hosting a âÄúdisruptive party,âÄù but no other citations were made in the incident, according to the report. Officers reported that they had been called to the house in prior cases, Garcia said. Homeless may be behind break-ins at U offices While most rooms around campus sat unoccupied over break, suspects broke into at least three on-campus offices. But the suspects didnâÄôt take anything, because they may have been looking for warm shelter, not valuables, police said. âÄúWeâÄôve had some issues with some homeless individuals over time,âÄù University police Deputy Chief Chuck Miner said. âÄúThey seem to be trying to neatly enter the rooms [and sleep there].âÄù The suspects pried off vents to enter an office in Lind Hall and a copy room in the Social Sciences Building. A University employee told officers that the Lind Hall office âÄúsmelled like someone homeless slept there overnight,âÄù according to a police report. Someone also pried off the trim around a window and removed the glass to get into another room in the Social Sciences Building, according to a police report. Police canâÄôt say if the incidents are connected or positively determine if homeless individuals are, in fact, sleeping in the rooms overnight, but the University has experienced problems of that sort in the past. New security technologies, including key cards and security alarms, may cull the entries, Miner said. âÄúSometimes theyâÄôll come across a ring of keys, and itâÄôs sort of a gold mine. ItâÄôll let them into various rooms and buildings,âÄù Miner said. âÄúWeâÄôre slowly getting better and better as the physical security of the buildings is improving.âÄù