U president introduces out-of-state tuition hike

To better match rates of other Big Ten schools, undergraduate nonresident, nonreciprocal tuition at the University of Minnesota might reach $35,000 in a few years.

For a newly admitted out-of-state student in 2020, this would mean a $12,800 hike.

President Eric Kaler revealed his proposed tuition plan for out-of-state students to the Board of Regents on Thursday. Kaler’s proposal includes raising out-of-state tuition by $3,200 per year for four years, which would make out-of-state tuition for undergraduates $35,000 by the 2019-20 school year. Though board members are divided on the logistics, most support growing out-of-state tuition.

To prevent a jarring surge for current out-of-state enrollees, a discount under Kaler’s plan would cap their tuition increase at 5.5 percent per year.

In May, the state Legislature did not give the University funds for a continued tuition freeze, and in June, Kaler announced a tuition hike for this school year.

Out-of-state students at the University paid about $22,000 for tuition and fees for the 2015-2016 school year, while residents paid about $14,000. The board also examined tuition strategies at other Big Ten schools, like locking tuition at a student’s freshman rate and charging different amounts for different majors.

Regent Darrin Rosha proposed raising out-of-state tuition all at once to approach the top market value of the Big Ten. Then, he said, the school could waive tuition down to its current rate until officials decide the non-resident rate.

The Minnesota Student Association will hold a forum on Tuesday to vote on an opposing statement to the proposal.

Regent Laura Brod cautioned the board that a swift tuition hike could scare away potential applicants, and other regents worried a beefed-up sticker price may confuse high school students.

“The average high school student may not understand that no one pays this price,” Regent Linda Cohen said.