6:18 p.m. Eric, a student, expertly improvises an ethereal, jazzy melody on the public piano in Coffman Union.
2024 Day in the Life: April 18

Man who fell five stories from FloCo balcony identified as a University student

19-year-old Mackenzie John Caron fell and was hospitalized in critical condition Saturday night.

The 19-year-old man who fell from a fifth story FloCo Fusion apartment balcony Saturday night has been identified as Mackenzie John Caron, University of Minnesota student.

Caron landed on the concrete about 10 p.m. and was taken by ambulance to the Hennepin County Medical Center. He was in critical condition, said Minneapolis Police Department Sgt. Catherine Michal in an email Tuesday, but was unsure of his current condition.

Though some speculated he was trying to jump to a different balcony, there wasn’t one below the apartment to land on, said resident and University student Samuel Duchow. He said he didn’t witness the fall.

“I don’t know what his intentions were,” Duchow said.

University of Minnesota animal science junior Claire Steffenhagen was walking by FloCo when she saw the aftermath of the accident.

“There was a guy who was laying on his stomach,” she said. “And we looked up, and everyone was just packed on that balcony, looking down. The paramedics came five or ten minutes later and people started flooding the courtyard, wondering what was happening.”

She gave pitchers of water to paramedics to wash blood off the concrete, she said.

“I heard him breathing really hard. I just saw blood around him. It was really upsetting,” Steffenhagen said.