Double standards

Over the past few weeks, we have been seeing more and more signs calling to stop

the war on Iraq, stop the war on terrorism and other statements made by organizations such as Students Against War and the Students for Justice in Palestine. It would be really nice if those student groups would do the same when it comes to violence waged against the United States and many other countries.

The explosion in Bali is just one of many terrorist acts committed around the world by Muslim terrorist organizations. Students Against War and Students for Justice in Palestine are reluctant to say anything about Muslim terrorism or to fight it.

In a lecture given on Oct. 15, Na’eem Jeenah, a speaker invited by Students Against War said, “I support the Palestinian intifada.” A member of the student group was wearing a shirt reading, “Palestine will be free from the river to the sea,” calling for the destruction of Israel. How can organizations that are against war support terrorism? How can an organization like Students for Justice in Palestine justify terrorism, especially after the events of Sept. 11?

A student like Paul Stoetzel (“Once on tour, now anti-war, student soldier won’t go to Iraq,” Oct. 17) might feel like the military is doing a lot of wrong, but he doesn’t know what is happening on the other side. He has never seen school children being taught to kill, or to become suicide bombers. He has never gone to a religious service where followers are called upon to commit acts of terrorism. People should try to find out the truth and the other side of the story before they make a decision to oppose certain actions. People should consider the fact that it doesn’t matter how many Iraqis die in the war, it will never compare to the number of people killed on a daily basis by Saddam Hussein. Sometimes you have to choose the lesser of two evils.

Omri Fine, senior, business conflict resolution