MSA looks to add new, committed members

University political science junior Shana Conklin is the diversity education fund chairwoman for MSA.
Image by Tony Morimoto

The Minnesota Student Association will host its first forum of the year Tuesday, giving students the chance to get involved with University administration and see where tuition dollars go. During the meeting, MSA will elect up to five new at-large representatives. At-large members must attend a forum meeting every three weeks and participate as an active member in one of MSAâÄôs five committees. MSA Campus Relations Chairwoman Missy Gettel said she looks for students who âÄúhave an initiative to do something good for the campus.âÄù âÄúWe really want people who want to get out there,âÄù Gettel said. Being elected as an at-large member allows students to become more involved on campus, said diversity education fund chairwoman Shana Conklin , âÄúThey get more informed about whatâÄôs happening on campus about tuition, textbooks and basically everything thatâÄôs happening on campus,âÄù Conklin, a former at-large member, said. New MSA members will get a chance to make a difference on an administrative level, MSA Vice President Trisha Thompson said. âÄúWe talk about different policies that are going on within the University because the University administrators often come to us to say, âÄòThis is what we were thinking, what is the student perspective on that?âÄô âÄù Thompson said. âÄúItâÄôs a chance to represent the student population to have your voice heard.âÄù In the past, there havenâÄôt always been enough applicants to fill the at-large openings, but MSA President Mark Nagel said he thinks all positions will be filled this year. Nagel also said he looks for leadership and responsibility in new members. âÄúThey will be and should be held accountable to their constituents,âÄù he said. Gettel also urged student groups to get involved. âÄúAll groups have an opportunity to have a seat on MSA and weâÄôd like to get more of them to take advantage of that,âÄù she said. âÄúThis is supposed to be a cross section of the student body and so itâÄôs good to have all sorts of different members of every affiliation.âÄù At-large members must be undergraduates taking at least six credits. They must be nominated by a current MSA member or self-nominated, and attend the first forum on. At the forum, candidates will introduce themselves and answer up to three questions before current MSA members vote on who to elect. MSAâÄôs first forum will be held Tuesday in the Mississippi Room in Coffman Union at 3:30 p.m.