Rosin blossoming as ace, prospect

The Gophers’ key pitcher for three seasons is open to turning pro.

Over the course of a collegiate athleteâÄôs career, there are bound to be various highs and lows for the individual and his or her team. The hope is that both player and team finish on the better end of the success spectrum. As Gophers baseball pitcher Seth Rosin nears the end of his junior season, he appears to be peaking at just the right time. The Shoreview, Minn., right-hander was drafted in the 28th round of the 2007 Major League Baseball draft by the Minnesota Twins after a senior high school season in which he posted a stellar 1.60 ERA in 45 innings of work to earn All-State, All-Conference and All-Area accolades. Instead of signing a professional contract, Rosin chose to become a Gopher, and he was thrown into the action in his first season. Rosin went 1-1 as a freshman and pitched 47 2/3 innings, the most by a Gophers freshman in seven years. As a sophomore last season, Rosin improved to 7-1 and struck out 65 batters in 77 innings. The impressive campaign earned Rosin All-Big Ten second-team honors. Rosin was already set to return this season as the teamâÄôs leader in wins, starts, innings pitched and strikeouts, but he also spent last summer honing his craft in the Cape Cod Baseball League. The Cape Cod League is considered one of the countryâÄôs premier collegiate summer leagues and boasts current stars such as Mark Teixeira and Todd Helton among its alumni. Rosin went 2-1 with 38 strikeouts in 33 1/3 innings for the Hyannis (Mass.) Mets, and he said the high level of play helped him improve for this season. âÄúI had a great time, a great opportunity to go out there and get away from everything,âÄù Rosin said. âÄúI advise everyone to do it.âÄù While he enjoyed his time with the club, he said heâÄôs unsure of whether he will return this summer. âÄúIt depends what happens in the next couple of months,âÄù Rosin said. âÄúIt depends how my armâÄôs feeling. I feel pretty healthy right now. IâÄôm throwing a lot of innings, but if IâÄôm feeling healthy IâÄôll try to do it.âÄù Rosin spent much of his time last summer working on a slider to add to his pitching repertoire, though he hasnâÄôt used it much this season because of control issues. âÄúI kind of got away from it,âÄù Rosin said. âÄúIt just never really panned out; I couldnâÄôt really throw it for a strike.âÄù Rosin instead has relied on a hybrid curveball for his off-speed pitch with solid results. The junior has a team-leading 58 strikeouts and is holding opponents to a .260 batting average. While Rosin spurned the Twins after being drafted three years ago, he made it clear that may not be the case after this yearâÄôs draft. âÄúIt depends where [I get drafted],âÄù Rosin said. âÄúIâÄôve set a monetary limit for myself. My family and I have talked about it. There is a certain number [where I would consider leaving].âÄù Rosin estimates that signing bonus number between $100,000 and $150,000. Many scouting organizations have Rosin listed as a top-five-round draft choice. But with no rookie salary scale, the team that picks a player is more important than where he is picked in terms of receiving a higher signing bonus, Rosin said. âÄúSome teams will pay more in certain spots than others,âÄù Rosin said. âÄúIt seems like the Boston Red Sox, the Chicago Cubs, the [New York] Yankees, will offer more money in certain rounds than other smaller market teams.âÄù Rosin has discussed going pro with Gophers head coach John Anderson, and Rosin said the coach is willing to accept the junior leaving after this season. âÄúI think they understand that itâÄôs a possibility for me,âÄù Rosin said. âÄúThey said whateverâÄôs best for my family and myself is OK. TheyâÄôre OK with whatever happens.âÄù Asked his preference for a major league club, Rosin said he just wants a shot at one day playing in the big leagues. âÄúI donâÄôt think it matters that much,âÄù Rosin said. âÄúAs long as I get a fair chance, thatâÄôs all that really matters to me.âÄù