Gophers win 2 of 3 against Badgers

Sara Moulton had both wins during a weekend of bad weather.
Minnesota pitcher Sarah Moulton pitches during a double header against Madison on Sunday, April 7, 2013, at Jane Sage Cowles Stadium.
Image by Jaak Jensen

The Gophers softball team had an up-and-down couple of days this weekend, but it ended on a high note.

Minnesota (23-13, 6-3 Big Ten) took two of three games from rival No. 25 Wisconsin this weekend. The schedule was reconfigured after Friday’s postponed game because of snow and cold temperatures.

The Gophers won the first game of the series 2-1 and split a doubleheader with the Badgers on Sunday afternoon.

After a poor showing in Sunday’s first game, the Gophers rebounded in a strong way in the series finale. Minnesota used a three-run first inning and a five-run third to beat the Badgers 8-0.

“After the first game, it was really a gut check for us,” junior pitcher Sara Moulton said. “People took some swings in the cages and we got mentally ready for the second game.”

Moulton picked up her second win of the weekend Sunday. She was able to pitch aggressively because of the early three-run lead the Gophers spotted her.

Moulton struck out seven Badgers players in five innings Sunday.

Minnesota’s fifth through eighth batters in the lineup drove in all seven earned runs in Sunday’s second game. Sophomore Erica Meyer, sophomore Madie Eckstrom and senior Alex Davis each had two RBIs.

In Sunday’s first game, Badgers pitcher Megan McIntosh tossed a no-hitter. Gophers freshman pitcher Nikki Anderson seemed to be cruising until Wisconsin used back-to-back home runs to score six runs in the third inning.

“Things just didn’t go our way,” head coach Jessica Allister said.

Allister said she was impressed with how the team used the half hour between games Sunday to mentally prepare itself for the second.

Minnesota won in walk-off style Saturday when senior Kari Dorle doubled home sophomore Tyler Walker in the bottom of the seventh inning.

Saturday’s game was delayed by rain, which the Gophers have grown accustomed to.

“Last year I think every game we played was rain delayed,” Allister said, adding that the she thought her team has handled the delays very well.