Student cultural groups host forum at U against hatred

Tom Luong wants justice after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11. But he knows that it must be administered with caution.

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, Japanese-Americans were forced into internment camps because of public fear that they might be enemies.

“Let’s not repeat history,” said Luong, president of the Asian American Student Cultural Center. “We must stand united. America is a great nation because of our diversity.”

He and representatives from several University cultural organizations hosted a forum against hatred Monday in front of Northrop Auditorium.

It was the first day since the attacks that the U.S. flag has flown at full staff, and approximately 100 people attended.

“Our goal was to inform and support all the diverse cultures within our communities while erasing any hate from our hearts, minds and actions,” said Ahmed Siddiqui, a member of the al-Madinah Cultural Center and organizer of the event.

Each cultural group wanted to convey the message that hatred extends through all communities but by unifying together it is possible to overcome.

The first speaker, College of Liberal Arts sophomore Sadie Hays, was not affiliated with a student group but spoke because she “wanted to express her thoughts and fears about hatred and love.”

“We must stand against hate as humans, not just as representatives of a specific organization. Hate affects humanity,” Hays said. “The origins of hate are fear and
ignorance … Hatred can rot our hearts.”

Josh Bergeron, of the Hillel Foundation, brought a ram’s horn, called a “shofar,” to “ask for forgiveness and diminish wrongs.” The shofar is used to reach out to a community during times of celebration and tragedy in the Jewish culture.

“The shofar is a way to cry out when words will not suffice,” Bergeron said.

As Bergeron spoke about justice, understanding, compassion and peace, Nate Jagoda, a student in the College of Biological Sciences, sounded the horn.

Michael Lehan, cornerback, and Jimmy Henry, captain and linebacker of the University football team, spoke on behalf of University athletics.

“I don’t think we would be here without what happened on Sept. 11,” Lehan said. “But hatred happens every day. A lot of things go on unsaid.”

The Queer Student Cultural Center and University Young Women also participated.

Sarah Schadegg closed the proceedings, emphasizing how generalizations can be harmful.

“Islam is a holy religion and culture. We can’t put a stigma of hate on a religion,” said Schadegg, a recent graduate. “Timothy McVeigh was a Christian but we didn’t label him the Christian bomber.”

Said Siddiqui, “We’ll stand together to fend off hate. We’ll learn from the different perspectives of all the cultural groups.

“And we’ll show the world that we are strong and won’t tolerate hate crimes toward any religious, cultural, ethnic or racial group.”

Elizabeth Putnam welcomes comments at [email protected]