Gophers suffer home sweep at hands of Sioux

Minnesota sophomore goaltender Jeff Frazee’s night ended on a first period, short-handed goal that bounced the entire length of the ice and into the net.

That goal by North Dakota junior defenseman Robbie Bina signified the beginning of the end for the Gophers men’s hockey team, which surrendered five unanswered goals for the second straight night in a 7-3 defeat at Mariucci Arena on Saturday.

Senior netminder Kellen Briggs took over for Frazee to begin the second period but could not stop the bleeding as Minnesota (21-5-3 overall, 13-4-3 WCHA) was outscored 5-0 combined in the second period of Friday and Saturday’s contests.

Sophomore Ryan Duncan, a 5-foot-6 winger on North Dakota’s first line, torched the Gophers for two goals on Saturday and four goals and three assists in the series.

He did it with poise on the power play and scrappiness in the slot, but more importantly he did it with the help of his star-studded line mates.

Duncan, along with sophomore center Jonathan Toews and sophomore winger T.J. Oshie, composed a Sioux first line responsible for 16 points in the series.

“The ability to one-time pucks – that’s a special art,” Gophers coach Don Lucia said. “Elite goal-scorers have that ability, you saw Duncan score a couple off that.”

North Dakota junior goalie Philippe Lamoureux was brilliant for the second straight night, steering away 20 of Minnesota’s 23 shots on goal.

He is 8-1-1 in his last ten games and has given up three goals or less in each of his last 12 starts.

Lamoureux was tested all night, but guided the Sioux (15-11-2, 9-9-2) with a quick glove that snared shots and didn’t give Minnesota an opportunity to light the lamp in the final two periods.

“Our goaltender played outstanding and really kept us in there,” Duncan said.

The Gophers, who came into their series with Wisconsin two weeks ago riding a 22-game unbeaten streak have since fallen to 2-4 in their past six games.

Game Summary

Sioux 3 2 2 — 7

Gophers 3 0 0 — 3

Scoring:

1st Period: UMN: Johnson-2 (Goligoski-22), Stoa-10 (Peltier-5, Okposo-12), Howe-4 (Okposo-13, Peltier-6); UND: Zajac-5 (unassisted), Duncan-20 (Toews-17, Genoway-11), Bina-8 (Chorney-13)

2nd Period: UMN: no scoring; UND: Duncan-21 (Chorney-14, Oshie-20), Fabian-4 (Kaip-4, Kozek-4)

3rd period: UMN: no scoring; UND: Oshie-8 (Duncan-14, Chorney-15), Oshie-9 (Toews-18, Duncan-15)