U-DFL votes none of the above for MSA presidential candidates

After the casting of more than 13 ballots, members of the University-DFL party voted not to endorse any presidential candidate for the Minnesota Student Association.
The University-DFL convention was the first endorsement event Tuesday in the first full week of the Minnesota Student Association campaign. Elections will be held April 29-30.
Four presidential candidates along with their four running mates registered in the Campus Involvement Center and will have their names on the ballots. Each ticket had to collect 250 signatures to be eligible for this week’s endorsement conventions.
College of Liberal Arts sophomores Kevin Nicholson and Brook Anderson competed with Carlson School of Management senior Adam Miller and running mate Jill Sanders, a senior in CLA. The democrats narrowed the endorsement process down to two separate tickets, but could not decide whether to choose Nicholson or Miller.
The University-DFL was offering $250 in financial support to their endorsed candidate, but because no decision was made, no money will be given away.
“This is the appropriate action to take,” Miller said. “It is the responsible choice.”
Both candidates said they were disappointed with the decision, but added that the lack of endorsement will not affect either campaign.
“There are no hard feelings,” Nicholson said. “We would have loved to have it, and I am sure all of the other candidates feel the same.”
Other candidates seeking the presidency and vice presidency, respectively are Nikki Kubista, a CLA senior who is running along with Erin Ferguson, also a CLA senior. Sabeen Altaf, a CLA junior is running Michael Hsu, a junior in the Institute of Technology.
University-DFL chairman Adam Tillotson, a freshman in General College, said the vote to withdraw an endorsement implies that there are good candidates.
“It shows the strength of the party,” Tillotson said. “We just couldn’t come to a decision.”
Students Against Fee Excess and the Interfraternity and Panhellenic councils will be voting on their endorsement today and Thursday.