Toledo impresses in singles play at Gopher Invitational

The Minnesota menâÄôs tennis team, led by freshman Leandro Toledo, hosted the Gopher Invitational Nov. 3-6 at the Baseline Tennis Center.

Toledo won all four of his singles matches in the invitational, which included participants from Minnesota, Nebraska, Denver, and Notre Dame.

He upset No. 28 Notre DameâÄôs Casey Watt on Thursday in three sets. Watt was the highest-ranked player to participate this weekend.

On Friday, he upset No. 30 Enej Bonin of Denver in three sets, and he followed that up with a straight-set defeat of Notre DameâÄôs Greg Andrews on Saturday and a defeat of NebraskaâÄôs Andre Stenger on Sunday.

Head coach Geoff Young said he was not surprised by ToledoâÄôs performance.

âÄúI did expect him to play well. I think he likes our courts, and his game is suited for our courts,âÄù Young said.

Young added that he was happy with the individual performances that he saw from his team.

âÄúI think that from most of the players on the team, their matches were played really well,âÄù Young said. âÄúEveryone had their moments where they played really well, so it was fun to watch.âÄù

Senior Michael Sicora and sophomore Juan Pablo Ramirez also pulled off victories in singles Thursday. Sicora, a two-time Minnesota high school champion, defeated another state champion from Minnesota, Wyatt McCoy, in three sets.

On Friday, the Gophers went 9-3 in singles play and 2-2 in doubles.

Freshman Eric Frueh contributed two wins âÄî one in singles, one in doubles.

On Saturday, Minnesota went 3-5 in singles and 2-2 in doubles.

Minnesota finished the invitational by going 5-2 in singles and 1-2 in doubles Sunday.

The invitational offered Young the opportunity to target what needs to be improved before regular season matches begin.

âÄúBeing an individual sport, each guy has his own thing that he needs to improve upon,âÄù Young said. âÄúWe definitely got a look at each guy and what heâÄôs doing well and what he needs to improve upon, so thatâÄôs the biggest thing that we got out of [the invitational].âÄù