Daily Digest: Al to Senate…sort of, segregation in MN schools

Hello, folks. Hope your weekend was grand. Well, other than having to watch the Gophers football game…and the really cold weather…and…

Don’t worry, Digest will make it better!

*Al Franken is going to the Senate! OK, so he’s not a member yet, but he will be there Tuesday to discuss the recount with Senate leaders, the Star Tribune reports. Franken, who trails incumbent Norm Coleman by 206 votes, will also be using the time to get ready in case he does win the seat. "If he should win this election, it would be irresponsible for him not to get ready to take office," spokeswoman Colleen Murray told the Star Tribune. "Minnesota deserves a senator who is ready to take office on Day One." The Coleman campaign called that notion "presumptuous." Oh, won’t this be a fun battle for office?

*In an interesting article out today, MinnPost reports that segregation in Twin Cities-area schools is worse than ever before. A 1972 federal ruling ordered busing in Minneapolis schools to achieve racial balance, but black children today are more likely to attend an "all-minority" school than in the ’70s. Currently, 27 percent of metro-area schools have a majority of nonwhite students. The article also cites University of Minnesota data that shows that almost 30 percent of elementary schools in the Twin Cities metro area – including those in suburbia – have now reached the point where a majority of students are nonwhite and poor.

*Lastly, the Chronicle of Higher Education reports that the number of foreign students enrolled in American colleges in fall 2007 shattered previous records and represents the largest one-year increase in decades. This is according to data from the Institute of International Education. The same thing has been occuring at the University, as there was an increase of foreign students on campus within the last year. There has also been an increase in the number of University students going to foreign places–the U now ranks fourth in the nation for students studying abroad, according to the Daily

We’ll see you Tuesday!

Mike Rose

Managing editor