Workaholics anonymous

Caffeine addiction can be a serious issue plaguing college students.

We’ve all been there. A long day of class and work followed by a multitude of readings and a paper to start, only to turn to coffee and other caffeinated beverages as our solution. But what happens when this becomes the norm? What if caffeine becomes a vital part of our daily life?

Though caffeine is prevalent and perfectly legal, it’s the most commonly used drug in the world — 80 to 90 percent of American adults consume it on a daily basis, often consuming twice as much as medically recommended. As college students, we come across it everywhere: the multitude of coffee shops on campus, even in our academic buildings, or energy drinks inside our local convenience stores. However, the “drug” status of these products is rarely thought about, yet addiction is just as possible — and perhaps even more prevalent — compared to other, more provocative drugs.

Caffeine addiction isn’t just a statistic for college students. A 2006 study at Northwestern University found that 265 caffeine-abuse cases were reported to a local U.S. regional poison control center from 2001 through 2004. The abusers’ average age was 21. There are real effects to caffeine abuse, including insomnia, anxiety, depression and an array of serious long-term issues.

Before we take the easy approach and grab coffee when we’re cramming for papers and exams, we should first look to better time management skills and to get an uninterrupted night’s sleep. But let’s be real, for the busiest of students, try looking into an energy-efficient diet, such as foods high in protein and fiber. These options can help you kick the morning coffee habit and in to a healthier college lifestyle.