Trash Film Debauchery: Graduated and Ready for the real world.

MinneapolisâÄô native B-film group Trash Film Debauchery, will return after almost a year off the indie radar. The film group, which has gained pseudo-celebrity in the Twin Cities through their bizarre and hilarious cinema choices, will return with the so-bad-itâÄôs-good action flick âÄúSamurai Cop.âÄù âÄúSamurai CopâÄù marks the groupâÄôs return to glory since founder and University alumna Theresa Purcell graduated last year. The film groupâÄôs new location in the upstairs of the Turf Club will allow moviegoers to drink and swear shamelessly during showings and will facilitate a much larger crowd than previous accommodations. The group was formed out of intense boredom in a University dorm room in 2003. Purcell wanted a place for her and her friends to be able to watch movies on a big screen. When they realized that all they needed was three people and 15 bucks to make a student group official, TFD was born. The theme of their premier show was âÄúThe Best Cinematic Head Explosions of All Time,âÄù and despite an almost complete lack of advertising, the turnout was surprisingly strong. The group quickly moved to Ford Hall across from Coffman Union to appease a growing number of spectators. But even that classroom was overrun with filmophiles ranging from hippies and homeless people to students from other schools. Even road-tripping Iowans began crowding into the dingy classroom to watch skewed classics such as âÄúCannibal HolocaustâÄù and âÄúTurkish Star Wars.âÄù When Purcell asked a student activities adviser if they could possibly get a larger space to work in, the UniversityâÄôs response was to shut the group down due to a lack of licensing for the films. After a large public outcry, several editorials, petitions and an enormous amount of work on the part of Purcell, Trash Film Debauchery returned with $3,000 in grants and a spot at the West Bank Auditorium. Five years since its birth and countless cult films later, Trash Film Debauchery is finally getting back to work after its disintegration upon PurcellâÄôs graduation in 2007. Yet, Trash Film DebaucheryâÄôs new home outside of the University poses a possible problem for a large portion of its demographic; the shows at The Turf Club are 21-plus. The departure for TFD from all-ages status could marginalize the audience and further distance them from their roots at the University. The new crop of incoming less-than-legal students ripe with borrowed nostalgia for B films via âÄúGrindhouseâÄù may miss out on an introduction to trash film. For the sake of Trash Film DebaucheryâÄôs popularity in the non-collegiate world, camping out at a new venue may not be a bad thing; the groupâÄôs independent status could wrangle in new interest as well as a broader demographic as a whole. One canâÄôt help but wonder if something is lost now that âÄúDebaucheryâÄù is taking off its training wheels, but Purcell thinks not. When she graduated, Purcell received several offers from students willing to take over the reigns of TFD. She couldnâÄôt accept any of them. âÄúI just couldnâÄôt give up something I had worked so hard on,âÄù she explained. She continued advising students about starting their own film groups but refrained from handing over TFD itself. When asked why she loves to do Trash Film Debauchery, PurcellâÄôs answer was simple, âÄúbecause people love shooting movies, everyone loves shooting movies. When we started this I thought it was gonna be me and five of my dork friends watching head explosions on a big screen, but people really love this.âÄù With a fresh new monthly lineup and free admission working in TFDâÄôs favor, Debauchery looks to be one of the cheapest ways to get âÄútrashedâÄù this fall.