Multicultural greek organizations to discuss community needs

The first-of-its-kind event will be held tonight at Coffman.

Eight multicultural greek organizations will present information and discuss community needs at a two-hour meeting for the community Tuesday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. The organizations will present information on their current and future community service work. After the presentations, others in attendance will get the opportunity to ask questions and comment. The event is part of the Beta DREAMS Week âÄî a week of events hosted by student group Developing Responsible Educated and Aware Multicultural Students (DREAMS). Other events this week include a seminar on study skills, an informational seminar on the DREAMS organization and a cultural celebration. Amin Aaser, chairman of the DREAMS organization , said the success of this event depends on public participation. âÄúI would encourage the community to gain a better understanding of the activities and initiatives that non-traditional greek organizations pioneer,âÄù Asser said. Event participant Phi Beta SigmaâÄôs main objective is to alert the community to the fraternityâÄôs return to campus and let them know what they are about, fraternity president DeMario Littleton said. Phi Beta Sigma is in a unique situation. Because they are just coming back to campus, theyâÄôre in the beginning stages of community service projects. Littleton explained that within the next year, the University of MinnesotaâÄôs Phi Beta Sigma chapter was hoping to begin a service program called the Sigma Beta Club , which will reach out to black male high school students to encourage them to stay in school. âÄúThe statistics here in Minneapolis are very low and this is something we are very concerned about,âÄù Littleton said about the high school graduation rate of black males. âÄúWe eventually want the statistics to rise as far as increasing the number who graduate and may get into college.âÄù He said he would like to see the Greek DREAMS event continue in the future so the fraternity can show the community the progression of this and other community service projects. Chad Ellsworth, coordinator for the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life , said both traditional sororities and fraternities do a good job of community service, but âÄúthe multicultural organizations do a really good job of doing hands-on community service.âÄù The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life did not help plan this event, but Ellsworth said they were interested in its success. âÄúItâÄôs a good opportunity for students to try to shed positive light on the University and fraternity system,âÄù he said. Events are open to all students free of charge.