Women’s golf coach exploring new jobs

Now that the women’s golf season is complete, Minnesota coach Melissa Arthur Ringler can make it official – she is exploring other job opportunities.

The University’s proposal – and then retraction – that Minnesota would eliminate women’s golf for next season took its toll on the team. On the green, the team struggled to an 11th-place finish at the Big Ten Championships last weekend. Off the course, the uncertain future left many of the golfers – and Arthur Ringler – ready to move on.

Last week, Arthur Ringler told the Daily she has applied for the head coaching vacancies at Arkansas and Virginia. In addition, she is exploring coaching in some capacity for Indiana’s golf team.

“I am not sure if I want to be here anymore,” the third-year coach said April 24.

The five golfers – Karyn Stordahl, Tai Kinney, Karen Quintelier, Tara Petsinger and Kirstin Whalen – planning to transfer for next season remain committed to transferring.

However, Stordahl said she has not yet made a final decision and is considering offers from Washington, Michigan, Michigan State and Northwestern.

“This has to make sense academically,” the junior said, referring to the transferability of her credits. “Every day I have a different attitude on whether I want to be here.”

Kinney, the Gophers’ impressive freshman from Oregon, will transfer to San Jose State.

According to Arthur Ringler, Whalen is looking at Arkansas State, Coastal Carolina or Sam Houston State; Quintelier is interested in Kansas or Kansas State; and Petsinger has interest in Northern Illinois.

In addition, recruits Amy Schmucker and Courtney Mahon will likely not attend Minnesota.

The seven golfers continue to work with Minnesota’s compliance office in an effort to be granted their release.

– Adam Fink, Staff Reporter

Gilbert loses scholarship

On Tuesday, Minnesota’s women’s basketball forward Tanisha Gilbert told the Star Tribune she will lose her scholarship at the end of the spring semester because of academics.

Gilbert was told the news Monday in a meeting with women’s athletics director Chris Voelz and members of the school’s academic counseling department.

Attempts to reach Gilbert on Wednesday were unsuccessful.

The sophomore was academically ineligible for the second semester of her freshman year and was redshirted this season while recovering from knee surgery.

While she attained a 3.0 grade point average during the fall semester, Gilbert said she has struggled this semester because of a death in her family and the departure of Brenda Oldfield as the Gophers coach.

Gilbert said she was advised to improve in the classroom two weeks ago. When she learned of the meeting with Voelz, Gilbert figured it was due to a missed tutoring appointment last week. Gilbert said she missed the appointment because she was suffering from food poisoning.

The All-America high school player said she will appeal the decision.

If her appeal is denied, Gilbert will have the option of walking on to the team next year if she is academically eligible.

If she decides to transfer to another Division I school, Gilbert would have to sit out a year before continuing her career.