First competition of season ends with sweeps

Both the men’s and women’s teams won in dominant fashion over ASU.
Minnesota senior Derek Toomey swims in the mens 100-yard freestyle against Arizona State on Saturday at the University Aquatic Center. Toomey finished second behind teammate freshman Daryl Turner.
Image by Ichigo Takikawa
Minnesota senior Derek Toomey swims in the men’s 100-yard freestyle against Arizona State on Saturday at the University Aquatic Center. Toomey finished second behind teammate freshman Daryl Turner.

The Gophers men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams started their 2013-14 seasons with a pair of wins over Arizona State University on Saturday at the University Aquatic Center.

The men defeated ASU 190-95, and the women won 197-94.

Junior Becca Weiland led the women’s team with four victories, and freshman Daryl Turner led the men with four as well, including a win over teammate Derek Toomey in the 100-yard freestyle.

Turner led for most of the race and won with a time of 44.65 seconds.

Gophers head coach Kelly Kremer said Toomey, a senior captain, and Turner will continue to push each other to get better.

“I know Derek will try and get him the next time, and Daryl will try and get him the next time,” Kremer said. “But they are two team players.”

Toomey had a strong showing in the 50 freestyle, however, winning the event with a time of 19.99 seconds. He led the entirety of the race and beat the closest competitor by nearly a second and a half.

The Madison, Wis., native finished third in the event at the NCAA championships last season and said his goal is to win the event this year.

The men’s team finished fourth at last season’s Big Ten championships and 18th at the NCAA championships, but it is relatively young with 14 freshmen and just five seniors this year.

Turner, a Greenwood Village, Colo., native, is one of those freshmen. He was named the 2013 Colorado Swimmer of the Year.

“His athletic achievements and accomplishments are going to help us,” Kremer said, “but he’s also a guy who can really help take us to another level.”

The women’s team has even higher expectations for itself after winning a second straight Big Ten championship and finishing 10th at the NCAA championships last season.

Junior Devin Ste. Marie said the team is hoping to improve off last season’s championship finishes this season. Ste. Marie, who won the 200 mixed butterfly Saturday, said she thought the meet went well after a hard week of practice.

Minnesota’s men’s team competes against Florida next Saturday at the University Aquatic Center, and the women will host Michigan on Friday.