University area offers variety of dining, entertainment options

New faces and new places are part of the first year experience. In an attempt to help the aimlessly wandering new students, the Daily has compiled a guide for students younger than 21 who are looking for a local hangout or a place to find good grub within the University communities – their new backyard.

Stadium Village

This commercial area on the northeast edge of campus carries the old Memorial Stadium vibe with its collegiate feel. Yes, the University used to have an on-campus stadium where the Gateway alumni center and the aquatic facility now stand. Adorned with fast food restaurants from burgers to bagels, the area also offers local bar flavor with Gophers and Vikings pride.

ï European Grind – If you like Radiohead, you should hang out here. This Internet cafe offers the best chai tea around. Hookahs with multiple flavored tobacco are available for rent and students can pick up information geared toward planning a European getaway.

ï Campus Pizza – Just-like-mom-used-to-make-style pizza is served on red and white checkered cloth-clad tables. Pictures of olden-day Gophers champions adorn the walls. The Italian food and convenient location make this a frequent stop before Gophers games.

ï Oak Street Cinema – This old school and off-the-beaten-path movie theater located adjacent to the Superblock offers decent ticket prices and educational flicks.

ï Leaning Tower of Pizza -Recently built on the ground floor of University Village, this pizza palace is a sister restaurant to its counterpart in Uptown and offers the best taco pizza around.

ï Quizno’s – Not just meat and bread, Quizno’s offers its toasted subs to students at discount prices. Bring your U Card along and ask about their daily specials.

ï Perry’s Pizza – Shoot pool and listen to tunes on the jukebox. Climb into one of their many booths with your friends and enjoy pizza by the slice or campus-famous
calzones.

ï Harvard Market and Harvard Market East – If you need anything from soda and chips to shampoo and soap, the fraternal twin convenience stores will suit your every need, albeit at slightly high prices.

ï Big 10 – This student hangout serves burgers and subs galore, layered with all the toppings and toasted just right. Free popcorn for everyone, but a sub is mandatory. Treat yourself to some criss-cut fries or cheesebread while you wait.

ï Eddington’s – Known by few but cherished by those who can find it, this soup and sandwich deli is located behind University Village. The take-out only bistro has thick, creamy wild rice soup and warm butter or garlic breadsticks that melt in your mouth.

Dinkytown

Touching the northwest edge of campus, this University community exhibits college life from every angle. The Bohemian district is lined with coffee shops, bookstores and restaurants and thrives on its customer base that once included Bob Dylan. There are a few theories of how Dinkytown got its name, but the one told most often comes from the old sleeping cars called “Dinkeys” that lined the old railroad switch grounds.

ï Loring Pasta Bar – The colorful, creative atmosphere alone makes it worth visiting this one-of-a-kind restaurant and bar. No matter where you sit, your dining experience is sure to be memorable. The restaurant also offers dancing and live entertainment just about every night.

ï Dinkytowner – Build your own omelet at 3 a.m. at this
late-night hangout. Open until 4 a.m. Thursday through Saturday, this basement venue is also popular for its live entertainment.

ï Everyday People Clothing Exchange – Pick up some new threads and some extra cash at the same time at this thrift shop. Look hard enough and you can find brand-name clothing at rock-bottom prices.

ï Annie’s – Gaze at the Minneapolis skyline or the grassy knoll of campus from Annie’s outdoor deck with a cheeseburger in one hand and a malt in the other. Prices are fair and worth it for the taste.

ï Purple Onion – Satisfy your caffeine fix at this crowded Dinkytown coffeehouse. With a wide variety of flavors and daily brews, it has something for everyone.

ï Al’s Breakfast – This hole-in-the-wall diner offers to campus residents an eating experience unlike any other. The fact that you usually have to wait for a seat and eat shoulder-to-shoulder only adds to the uniqueness of this Dinkytown tradition.

ï Bon Appetit – It no longer offers live music, but new ownership has brought new atmosphere and attitude to this well-known sandwich shop. Try one of its freshly made smoothies to cool you off while the weather’s still hot.

ï The Library Bar & Grill – Saturday nights offer dance parties and admittance to students 18 and older. Enough said.

ï Avalon Campus Cards – Looking for the perfect greeting card or a gift for someone who has everything? This eclectic store just might have what you are looking for.

ï Know Name Records – Sell your old CDs or buy your favorite album for less. Know Name Records was once called Positively Fourth Street Ö you know, that one song Bob Dylan sings Ö

ï Magus Books and Herbs -Browse the shelves of healing, magic and astrology books, and peruse the many types of incense, herbs and bath salts to accompany your reading.

West Bank

Caught between the Mississippi River and downtown Minneapolis, this artsy cultural community is home to many ethnic restaurants, music clubs and theaters.

ï Hard Times – The alternative style locale has cheap grub, including a variety of vegan delights and specialty dishes.

ï Bob’s Pizza – One of the newest editions to the West Bank, Bob’s adds an Italian touch to the Seven Corners district.

ï Southern Theatre – An all-ages venue that offers dance and theater, the Southern Theatre also hosts Saturday midnight balls and cabarets.

ï Cedar Cultural Center – This world music venue offers folk as well as hip-hop live music almost every night of the week. Students can buy tickets at a discounted price.