Open windows lead to more Marcy-Holmes burglaries

Burglars struck more homes in the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood this week, according to Minneapolis police reports.

Police said home burglaries don’t happen any more frequently in the summer, and burglary across the precinct including Marcy-Holmes and the University of Minnesota is down 14 percent from last year at this time.

University senior Joe Schuler, who’s majoring in business and marketing education and human resource development, came back to his apartment on 12th Avenue Southeast for a few hours Monday evening after dinner with his family to find his window screen had been popped off and his front door was open a few inches.

But he didn’t notice anything missing until the next morning. Schuler said he had clothes, tools and a safe stolen.

Nobody was home to protect Schuler’s things, he said, because he lives alone — something he’d like to change by moving in with friends.

“My safety is kind of just done for here,” he said.

A University student had her apartment on Sixth Avenue Southeast burglarized while she was sleeping early Monday morning, another police report said.

The suspect cut through the student’s window screen to get in and steal a laptop — a very popular method of burglarizing homes during the summer, said Minneapolis police Sgt. Bill Palmer.

But the student was home at the time, and burglars don’t often break in when their victims are home.

“They don’t want a confrontation,” Palmer said. “They want in and out.”

Another University student had her laptop, purse and phone stolen early Monday morning, Palmer said.

She had been drinking and met the suspect earlier that night, according to the police report. She invited the suspect into the apartment, fell asleep, and noticed her things missing in the morning.

“People should make decisions about what they plan to do before they start drinking” to avoid similar situations, Palmer said.

The student declined to comment for this story.

The suspect left a phone behind, but Palmer wouldn’t say whether it was helpful in the investigation.