Start seeing light-rail impact

As we wait for final plans and regulations, we can’t help but be excited.

The proposed expansion to the Twin Cities light-rail transit will undoubtedly affect its string of communities in many ways. The Central Corridor track is intended to connect downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul via the University of Minnesota and the Midway area along University Avenue. Although construction isn’t scheduled until 2010, many are bracing for regulations to emerge to guide successful track completion.

The Central Corridor Task Force has already recommended development regulations that would restrict parking and new construction within a quarter mile of the proposed transit stations and much of what lines the University Avenue track.

The University community is anxiously awaiting final plans. Plans currently mark stops at West Bank (Blegen Hall), East Bank (Coffman Union) and Stadium Village. However, many have petitioned to move the West Bank stop closer to the Cedar-Riverside neighborhood at the intersection of Cedar Avenue and Washington Avenue. This would significantly decrease student use of the light rail to get around campus.

Also, the $930 million proposed cost of the Central Corridor is too high for federal liking. Committees are looking to trim expenses to maximize cost-effectiveness. One option being considered is to eliminate the proposed tunnel along Washington Avenue through the University and have the LRT vehicles ride above ground. Another is to delay construction of the track to Union Depot Station in St. Paul.

Whatever change awaits us, the Central Corridor light-rail line will increase the sense of community between Minneapolis and St. Paul. It will help ease rising traffic congestion. It will create easy commutes to and from high-traffic business and shopping areas. It will make the University of Minnesota a destination.

The Central Corridor might not affect all of the students that are currently at the University. However, it will preserve the future vitality of the University. Students who do and do not plan to stick around the Twin Cities after graduation should be avid supporters of the project.