University police send campuswide robbery alert

Similar daytime robberies on the St. Paul campus prompted the alert.

Two robberies on the St. Paul campus prompted University police to send out an e-mail alert to the University community Wednesday night.

The first robbery occurred Tuesday at about 2 p.m. near Cleveland Avenue North and Buford Avenue near Bailey Hall, according to the alert.

Two suspects approached a man visiting campus and implied they had a gun by

holding an object up to his back, said Steve Johnson, University deputy police chief.

The suspects stole the victim’s wallet and backpack and fled in a dark-colored minivan driven by a third suspect, police said.

The alert stated the second robbery occurred Wednesday at about 1 p.m. near Cleveland Avenue North and Doswell Avenue.

Two suspects reportedly approached a student, held something up to the victim’s back and wrestled the victim to the ground.

The suspects stole the student’s backpack and ran away. The victims were not seriously hurt.

The time, date, location and method of the robberies indicate the incidents are likely related, University Lt. Chuck Miner said.

“It’s very unusual to have daytime robberies,” he said. “Particularly on the St. Paul campus.”

The victims had slightly different descriptions of the suspects, police said, but they are believed to be in their late teens or early 20s with medium or light builds and dark complexions.

University police encouraged anyone who witnessed the robberies or has any information regarding the suspects to call (612) 624-COPS.

Assistance turns violent

A University student punched a paramedic in the mouth and fought with medical professionals early Saturday, according to a police report.

Officers received a call about an unconscious male at Territorial Hall at

approximately 1:30 a.m., police said.

Police found a first-year student unresponsive and vomiting and called an ambulance to transport him to Hennepin County Medical Center, the report stated.

Once inside the ambulance, the student struck one of the paramedics.

Emergency personnel

restrained him and took him to the specialty-care unit at the hospital. While there, he continued to resist medical assistance, fighting with and

spitting at his nurses and doctors, police said.

After the altercations and treatment, police brought the student to Hennepin County Jail where he was booked for assault against emergency personnel and police officers.

When asked, the student said he couldn’t remember much about the incident.

Theft wave

University police received five reports of stolen property between noon Monday and 8 a.m. Tuesday.

Though the thefts occurred within hours of each other, they probably are not related, Johnson said.

Items reported stolen include two purses, an iPod Shuffle, a video camera, a computer and a laptop.

The thefts occurred in

Pioneer Hall, Morrill Hall,

Wulling Hall, the Tate Laboratory of Physics and the

University Medical Center, Fairview.

Lydia Nickerson, a

University executive office assistant, said that her iPod Shuffle was stolen from her office sometime during the weekend.

She said she figured the device would be safe because her office was locked, but on Monday, it was gone.

“Everything was as I left it,” Nickerson said. “Except for the fact that the Shuffle wasn’t there.”

Johnson said there really isn’t any way to protect against burglaries, but locking up valuables – even for just a few minutes – limits the opportunity for thieves to steal them.

He likened the University to an airport.

“Would you just leave your luggage lying around an airport?” he asked.