An unidentified person dies after fall from Washington Avenue Bridge

The Office of Students Affairs is hosting a support space in 109 Appleby Hall.
The officer stands next to a sign that reads There is hope make the call on the west side of Washington Avenue Bridge as pedestrians gather on the east side of the bridge on Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2016.
Image by Bridget Bennett
The officer stands next to a sign that reads “There is hope make the call” on the west side of Washington Avenue Bridge as pedestrians gather on the east side of the bridge on Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2016.

An unidentified individual died after a fall from the Washington Avenue Bridge just after 11 a.m. Tuesday near the University of Minnesota’s West Bank, according to a University spokesman.

The Office of Student Affairs sent an email about a support space that will be available throughout the day in 109 Appleby Hall. Boyton Health’s Mental Health Clinic, Student Counseling Services and OSA’s Care Manager will all provide ongoing support as well.

“At this time, we do not have any details to share other than that we, in conjunction with local city and county partners, are investigating this case,” said Danita Brown Young, vice provost for student affairs and dean of students, in the email. “In this time of tragedy, I encourage you to take care of yourself and others, and I want you to know that our resources and services are available if needed.

UMPD, the Minneapolis Police Department and the Hennepin County Coroner responded to the scene on West River Road.

The Minnesota Daily will update this story as more information becomes available.