Police respond to arson in Marcy-Holmes

University and Minneapolis officers also responded to multiple thefts on and around campus this week.

The University of Minnesota Police Department and the Minneapolis Police Department responded to a reported arson incident and multiple thefts on and around campus this week.

MPD officers responded to a reported arson on the 600 block of 6th Street Southeast at about 6:30 a.m. Monday morning after the Minneapolis Fire Department responded half an hour earlier. The house’s front door and vestibule were severely damaged. Suspects used gasoline to fuel the fire, according to an email distributed by the Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association. The homeowner was not inside at the time of the incident. The MHNA email said the crime may have been motivated by the home’s political yard signs.

UMPD officers responded to a reported theft at Radius Apartments at around 10:45 a.m. Thursday. The victim told officers he left his backpack in a common area at 2 a.m. that morning. When he returned to the area at about 10 a.m. he noticed his backpack was missing, his wallet was open on a table and three credit cards were missing. The backpack was found in a stairwell of the apartment and the victim was notified that his credit card was used at a Target and McDonald’s in Dinkytown. The apartment will review security camera footage.

UMPD officers met with a staff member from Lind Hall on Tuesday morning to discuss reported property damage that occurred Monday night. The staff member told police that a key box near room 105 and the lock core to the same room had white glue inserted into them. The glue was removed from the key box but the core is inoperable. The staff connected the property damage to a group called “L’eau Est La Vie” or “Water for Life” which targets venues where banks are present to disrupt them. Room 105 was used for Wells Fargo internship interviews Tuesday. Officers found no physical evidence or security camera video to identify suspects.

MPD responded to a reported theft at the Purple Onion, Monday around 9:30 p.m. The victim told an officer that when she returned to her table after ordering someone had taken her laptop and cell phone. The suspect left the scene before she returned.

A Pizza Hut delivery driver reported to MPD officers that she was robbed at about 8:30 p.m. Monday night on the 400 block of 11th Avenue Southeast. The incident is still under investigation.

UMPD Chief Matt Clark said the department saw a normal volume of crime this week. Despite several reported thefts, Clark said theft has actually declined since the beginning of the school year.

“What we see is there’s an increase [at the beginning of the year] and then slowly throughout the semester [theft] slows down,” he said. “That’s pretty much the standard throughout the semester of school.”