Men and women sink Iowa in dominant fashion

The men won 12 of 16 events as the women claimed 10 victories.

Both the womenâÄôs and menâÄôs swimming and diving teams continued their hot start to the season with wins against Big Ten opponent Iowa in Iowa City this past Friday. The womenâÄôs team won 10 events en route to a 176-118 victory which included sweeps in several events and contributions from a group of talented underclassmen. âÄúItâÄôs always very important to have Big Ten dual meet wins. ItâÄôs kinda a double-edged sword. ItâÄôs great to have the win, but we also know weâÄôve got a lot of things to work on and a lot of ways we can improve,âÄù womenâÄôs co-head coach Terry Nieszner said . Sweeps for Minnesota included a one-two-three finish in the 1,000 free with sophomore Kristen Steenvoorden finishing first in 9:54.62, freshman Loren Brandon finishing second in 9:57.02 and sophomore Lissa Tommerdahl finishing third in 1:02.63. The Gophers also swept the 200 free with sophomore Ashley Steenvoorden taking first in 1:51.30, freshman Lauren Weis placing second in 1:52.68 and sophomore Hannah Whitehead finishing third in 1:53.00. More sweeps included the 100 breaststroke as freshman Emma Jackson won the first event of her career as a Gopher in 1:05.08, freshman Paige Bradley took second in 1:05.47 and junior Molly Belk placed third in 1:05.48. The 200 fly also included Gophers in the top three spots with freshman Annalise Colton winning in 2:04.87, junior Megan Braun placing second in 2:06.78 and freshman Elizabeth Weitz taking third in 2:07.06. In diving, sophomore Kelci Bryant impressed again, winning both the 1-meter and 3-meter springboard events. Bryant scored 314.85 in the 1-meter and 366.60 in the 3-meter. Meanwhile, freshman Katie Grunawalt placed second in both events with scores of 264.00 in the 1-meter and 278.17 in the 3-meter. âÄúItâÄôs huge that we have this potential that is growing, that is young, and I think its going to continue throughout the season,âÄù Nieszner said. On the menâÄôs side of the pool, 12 out of 16 events were won by Minnesota in a convincing 184-114 victory. Sophomore Karl Burdis , junior Ivan Gutesa and senior Alex Wold dominated their events, each winning two for the Gophers. Burdis won the 100 and 200 backstroke events in 49.53 and 1:51.30, respectively. Burdis also contributed to a 200 medley relay victory in 1:30.89 with the joint efforts of Gutesa and juniors Kevin Baseheart and Michael Richards . Gutesa took both breakstroke events, winning the 100 in 56.56 and the 200 in 2:02.56. Wold also contributed two individual victories, taking first in both the 200 butterfly in 1:50.06 and the 200 individual medley in 1:53.32. Other individual victories included senior Ray Betuzzi in the 500 free (4:34.68), freshman Michael McBroom in the 1000 free (9:26.16), junior Drew Brown in the 3-meter diving (382), junior Curt Carlson in the 100 free (45.34) and junior Michael Richards in the 50 free (20.68). Next up for both teams is the Minnesota Grand Prix Nov. 13-15 at the University Aquatic Center. âÄúItâÄôs definitely going to be a step up âĦ ItâÄôs a pretty grueling format to go through a three-day prelim final meet at this point in the season when we are very tired and working hard. Again, this is just another step on the ladder of this season and getting some experience,âÄù Nieszner said.