UMN sees uptick in burglaries, police say

UMPD and MPD responded to multiple thefts and assaults on and around campus this past week.

University of Minnesota and Minneapolis police departments responded to multiple assaults and thefts on and around campus this past week.

Minneapolis police responded to a burglary at a local business in the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood on Thursday, after the owners noticed someone had broken in and stolen a laptop and a computer monitor. Another theft occurred nearby on Jan. 17 at a business in the St. Anthony Main area.

An assault was reported to MPD late Monday night at the intersection of 29th Avenue Southeast and University Avenue Southeast. The officers arrived at the scene and were given the description of a car driven by the suspects. After locating the car, three individuals were stopped and subsequently arrested after assaulting the officers.

On Saturday, MPD officers responded to an assault at the Metro Petro gas station in Prospect Park at 10 p.m. According to a report on the incident, the suspect threw hot food into the victim’s car after they exchanged words, and left before the officers arrived.

A home invasion at the 300 block of 13th Avenue Southeast occurring between Jan. 15 and Jan. 18 was reported to MPD. Two other on-campus thefts occurred on Jan. 15, the first occurring on the 300 block of Harvard Street Southeast at around 4 p.m. and the other at the Graduate Hotel at around 8 p.m.

University of Minnesota Police Department Chief Matt Clark said UMPD has made arrests and continues to focus department resources on curbing the thefts on campus.

“Make sure you stay with your equipment or stay with your laptop — don’t go to the bathroom and just … [leave it] on a table,” Clark said. “That’s where we get most of our theft events during the day.”

UMPD responded to four thefts in the last week, according to the department’s crime log. Clark said campus has seen an increase in burglaries going back to last fall.