Man charged in sexual assault case for fondling his daughter

A 42-year-old University student was charged Monday with sexually assaulting his 14-year-old daughter at a Commonwealth Terrace Cooperative duplex, according to a Ramsey County criminal complaint.
The second-degree criminal sexual conduct charges stem from an Oct. 5 incident in which Jose Alveris Bolanos allegedly fondled his daughter at his St. Paul campus residence.
Bolanos, a College of Liberal Arts student, admitted touching his daughter’s breast for about four seconds, according to the complaint.
The student’s wife reported the incident to police one day after the girl was allegedly abused. She also brought the 14-year-old to a clinic specializing in the care of sexually and physically abused children.
According to the complaint, the girl told Bolanos to remove his hand from her breast and he complied.
When his wife arrived at the duplex, she found the couple’s bedroom door closed. Her husband refused to let her inside, and her daughter locked herself inside a bathroom, according to the complaint.
The girl told her mother that Bolanos instructed her to not answer any questions about the assault, the complaint stated.
Bolanos also told investigators he had previously molested his daughter, and his wife repeatedly told him to stop sexually assaulting their children, the complaint stated.
The student is in police custody at Ramsey County jail in lieu of $25,000 bail. A conviction of second-degree criminal sexual conduct carries a maximum sentence of 25 years in prison and a $35,000 fine.
This is the third sexual assault reported at the student housing cooperative since April. Children have been the victims in each case, including a reported Aug. 13 rape in the cooperative laundry room.

Megan Boldt covers police and welcomes comments at [email protected]. She can also be reached at (612) 627-4070 x3224.