Tenants of apartment complex formerly known as Prime Place in ongoing legal negotiations

Some tenants are hoping to be reimbursed for inconveniences they faced while awaiting construction to finish.
Prime Place Apartments, recently re-branded as The Arrow Apartments, seen under construction on Sunday, Nov. 12. 
Image by Alex Tuthill-Preus, Daily File Photo

Over six months after initial construction delays, many residents of The Arrow Apartments are still embroiled in legal negotiations.

Residents of The Arrow Apartments in Prospect Park — formerly known as Prime Place Apartments — are engaged in ongoing discussions with the company, some involving rent reimbursement after unexpected hotel stays.

Some residents were notified before the initial move-in date that their apartments would not be completed in time for the beginning of the semester.

Some affected residents were given the option of living elsewhere and being compensated daily, or the option of being placed in a campus-area hotel for a month while construction was completed, said Bill Dane, attorney for the University’s Student Legal Service.

Displaced residents who agreed to live in hotels were charged full rent, while those who lived elsewhere or shared a hotel room were given daily cash compensation. 

Dane said that while most residents were charged full rent for their hotel stays, some were able to negotiate reimbursement deals. 

Camelia Pop, a math professor at the University of Minnesota, said she was able to get reimbursed for her month-long stay in a hotel by threatening legal action.

“I threatened to sue them because the justice was on my side … I could have gone to the conciliation court, and I’m pretty sure it would have worked,” Pop said.

Maria Almoite, another resident who was placed in a hotel for about a month, did not receive reimbursement. She was confused by the obvious unequal treatment of residents and the management’s lack of transparency.

While un-reimbursed residents are frustrated, management has the right to treat cases separately because they are unique circumstances, Dane said.

“It’s all individual, so it’s really hard to paint that with [the same] brush,” Dane said.

Many lawsuits relating to The Arrow have yet to be resolved, Dane said. He encouraged residents to enter private negotiations with management and to consult SLS for assistance.

“If people are worried that they’re somehow being left behind, that’s simply not the case. There’s a lot of negotiating left to be done, and we’re just beginning that process,” he said.

The Arrow Apartments declined to comment.

Update: A previous version of this story had a misleading photo of the Days Hotel. Some tenants of The Arrow stayed in the Days Hotel while their rooms were being completed.