Busy schedules conflict with homecoming

In the middle of the semester, homecoming week is a busy time for most on campus. Yet, officials said, it’s a time the community comes together.

From students who are bogged down with midterms to those who commute to campus daily, several students said it’s hard to get enthused about the weeklong pep rally.

Homecoming co-coordinators Jess Mann and Abby Johnston said they know first-hand the stress that homecoming week causes. The organizers said they have recently put in several 40-hour work weeks to prepare for homecoming week.

Those long hours, on top of homework, classes and sleep, make them understand how busy the week can be for students, they said.

But they have a solution for time-stretched students who want to participate in activities this week, they said.

Organizers scheduled events at varying times so they don’t conflict with classes. Some nights are activity-free.

Gerald Rinehart, associate vice provost for the Office of Student Affairs, said students should put school first, but would be shortchanging themselves if they don’t get involved in activities outside the classroom.

“It’s one of the important times of reflecting community on campus,” Rinehart said.

“Part of what college is all about is having a full experience, getting engaged in putting on a program, or finding a solution to a problem on campus,” he said.

Up against three midterm exams this week, sophomore Erin Armentrout and first-year student Randi Doering said they don’t have time to go to events this week. But they might pencil the Gophers football game Saturday into their schedules, they said.

“I just have too much going on,” Doering said. “I can’t fit it into my schedule.”

Sophomore Jackie LaJeunesse said she doesn’t have any midterms this week.

“This week’s not too bad,” she said.

She plans to cheer on her friend, who is participating in today’s lip-sync contest, and possibly other events, she said.

Last year’s lip-sync contest was fun, she said.

The most frequent participants in homecoming events are greek members and residential life students, Mann said.

Sophomore See Yang said she can understand why more people who live on campus get involved.

She commutes and said she won’t be making time to stay on campus to attend homecoming events this week.

The Homecoming Executive Committee can plan all it wants for homecoming, Mann said, but success depends on people getting involved.