Man found dead at U identified

University Police on Monday identified the 19-year-old man found dead in Riverbend Commons this weekend as Jacob A. Kreye of Andover, Minn.

University Police Deputy Chief Steve Johnson said the cause of death is still unknown for the former Coon Rapids High School student.

Police are continuing to investigate the death, he said.

University Police Chief Greg Hestness said that at approximately 11:30 a.m. Sunday, an 18-year-old female University student tried to wake Kreye up. She called 911 when he did not respond. Rescue workers could not revive him.

Police said Sunday that drugs and alcohol were not found in the Riverbend Commons room.

But Hestness said any unexpected death of a young person is suspicious.

High school classmates said Kreye was on the University campus Saturday to visit University student Aurora Albright. She was a friend from Coon Rapids High School, who graduated in 2004.

Albright could not be reached for comment Monday.

The University and the University Police said they might not release the name of the person who found Kreye.

Kreye was involved in wrestling and cross country in high school, said Mary Olson, Anoka-Hennepin Independent School District communications director.

High school friend and University student Brandon Heebink said although Kreye wasn’t the fastest runner on the team and didn’t always compete, he cheered on his teammates.

“He always had a way in bringing out the best in everyone on the team,” he said. “If you weren’t having a very good day, he’d cheer you up just like that.”

Heebink said Kreye was a caring and cheerful person.

“He had one of the most contagious laughs,” he said. “When he starts laughing, you can’t help laughing yourself.”

Kreye had a twin sister, Amanda and loved sports, Heebink said. He transferred to Coon Rapids High School for the 2000-01 school year.

Although he didn’t receive his diploma from Coon Rapids in 2003, he completed school at Transitions Plus, a program for students who are not ready to receive their diploma, Olson said.

Nicholas Berkeland, a high school cross country teammate and University student, said he last saw Kreye on Friday night at the Coon Rapids High School homecoming football game.

“All around he was a very nice person, everyone liked him,” he said. “Sometimes he was quiet and kept to himself, but he was really, really nice.”

Former classmates said they were unsure if Kreye was going to college. However, some said they thought he was going to a community college in Minnesota.

Memorial services and funeral information have not been announced, friends said.

Moller Moker contributed to this story.