Marcy-Holmes area sees several thefts from cars

Also, a fight broke out at Maxwell’s Cafe and Grill on Sunday.

Several cars near the University of Minnesota campus were broken into late Friday night and early Saturday morning, according to Minneapolis police.

None of the cars appeared to be locked, police reports said. The group of suspects seemed to be walking around the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood, checking for open vehicles.

Only one of the victims — a University of Minnesota-Duluth student — is affiliated with the University.

Minneapolis’ 2nd Precinct, which includes the University and its surrounding neighborhoods, has seen 210 thefts from motor vehicles this year, according to police data. That’s up from 193 thefts over the same period last year.

Minneapolis police Sgt. Bill Palmer said the best way to avoid theft from your car is to keep your valuables — “a gold mine” for thieves — out of sight.

“The people who do this for a living,” Palmer said, “are going to be looking for cars with something in them.”

Laptop and backpack stolen

A University student had her laptop and backpack stolen from her office Monday, according to a University police report.

Journalism junior Lashawnda Warpinski said she left the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Ally Programs Office in Appleby Hall momentarily and noticed the items were gone when she came back.

A man Warpinski had never seen before had been sitting outside her office before the theft occurred.

“A few of us had come up and asked him what he was up to,” Warpinski said. “He seemed that he was waiting for someone.”

University police Deputy Chief Chuck Miner said the man, who is a suspect, told another worker he was there for a meeting.

Disorderly conduct

A man was cited for disorderly conduct early Sunday morning outside Maxwell’s Cafe and Grill on Fourth Street Southeast, according to a Minneapolis police report.

The man was involved in a large fight inside the restaurant. Palmer said tables and chairs were broken and several people sustained minor injuries.

Most of the people involved left when police broke up the fight, but police arrested the man after he continued yelling and arguing with others in the middle of the street, Palmer said.

Robbery on University Avenue

Three men took a University student’s cellphone early Saturday morning, ripping it out of his hand, according to a police report.

Minneapolis police arrived to find the victim’s friend injured. Palmer said the friend, who is unaffiliated with the University, refused medical treatment and was uncooperative with police.

Palmer added that alcohol was involved in the incident.

“You’re less likely to be victimized if you’re aware of your surroundings,” he said.