Police looking for rec center credit card thief, burglar

Due to recent campus crimes, students are advised to lock up valuables at all times.

University police are searching for a male suspect who might be tied with credit card theft at the University recreation center.

Officials posted numerous fliers around the center last week, notifying users of the incident and asking for help locating the suspect.

University police Lt. Charles Miner said the suspect has several theft and credit card fraud incidents at the recreation center.

He was identified through an incident that occurred in the spring when he was caught using a victim’s credit card, Miner said.

If students see a possible theft taking place, they should ask a staff member to call the police, Miner said.

The suspect is not a University student, Miner said, and it is uncertain how he is getting into the building because he does not have a U Card, which is mandatory to enter the center.

Jim Turman, assistant vice provost for student affairs and director of the department of recreational sports, said students should protect their valuable items by locking them up at all times.

“It’s like the airport, don’t leave your bags unattended,” Turman said. “Overall it’s a very secure and safe place.”

Coffee shop burglary
On Friday, employees at the Coffee Corner inside the Carlson School of Management found a cash register lying on the floor when they came to work for the day.

A portable stereo was missing from under the counter, but no money was missing.

There have been similar burglaries in the past, Miner said.

Burglaries are slightly more common on the West Bank campus because it’s more accessible than the East Bank campus, he said.

Police have no suspects at this time and are still checking the register for evidence and fingerprints.