Thank you and good luck

The Daily is made possible because of you, the readers.

If there’s one thing your trusted editorial board understands above all else it’s the joys and pains of life here at the University. Like you, we procrastinate, study hard, try to say smart things in class and enjoy getting lost in the possibilities and promises that the skyline of Minneapolis somehow conveys. Like you, we’ve made bad life choices, gone out too much and had all- night study freak-outs because of it. And on this Friday – the eve of finals – we’d like to give our appreciation to the University community that makes this crazy life possible.

For the editorial board, our years have been defined by our wonderful responsibilities at The Daily: informing the University community of the most pressing issues that are facing the individual, the state, the nation and the world. We’ve seen a lot this year: alcohol deaths, human injustice, environment woes, Pawlenty vetoes, University missteps and the unending race for the presidency. We’ve tried our best to digest these issues and present them to you in an accurate and thoughtful manner; because, really, the purpose of our work is to create a space of dialogue and content for our readers.

A nation is only as strong as its citizens are informed. As we’ve seen so often around the country, our newspapers are folding under immense financial pressure from lost readers and ad revenue. Student newspapers, however, will evade this tragic end because of the support each one of you gives (whether you realize it or not). Your student fees help The Daily keep you informed. Each time you pick up the paper, comment online or write a letter, you are supporting a group of hardworking students that is dedicated to you.

So today, take a deep breath because the winter is over and finals will be here soon. Know you are doing your part – not only in becoming more informed and educated as a citizen, but also in creating a vibrant structure at the University. We thank you for that.